22.5.05

Happy Endings

Leaning against the window watching the rain, feeling happy, knowing I'll be home in a few hours. {8th grade trip}
Watching a slightly fuzzy image play across the TV making music I didn't think could be made. {Watching Mr. Brightside for the first time}
Squeeling in utter delight as he smiles from the screen. {Watching Help! for the first time in years}
Clapping "off" beat, pissing my sister off. {The Ben Folds concert I went to last year}
Singing with the chorus for my final time, knowing that I can't really cry. {End of the performance at the end of 9th grade}
Wondering what these goofs were sayingover the PA system as I walk around the shop, CD in hand. {First time I heard Kaiser Chiefs over spring break}
Rediscovering the magic that had enchanted me all those years ago. {Listening to the Beatles}
Singing as loudly as I can to ward off all my pain, knowing it won't work, but I'll be damned if every last person won't be able to hear me. {8th and 9th grade}
Annoying Avery with my singing, even if she won't admit that she can hear me. {8th grade}
Critiqueing every singer I've ever heard, secretly knowing that only 2 people can sing better than me.
Jumping octaves when the guys go to low, or the girls go to high.
Cursing my second soprano/alto range.
Learning lyrics as fast as I can so I can sing along, showing off the pipes that God gave me.
Creating whole scenes from songs that I love, and wondering if anyone else could understand them. {9th grade and summer before 10th grade}
Wondering why people didn't love this stuff as much as I do.
Singing for my happy ending.
{These are the memories I think of when I listen to songs. The things that flash through my head as this year draws to a close. I have a month and a day left in this school year. Normally around this time I would be a description of each of my classes, thinking of songs to dedicate to the year. I think I'll do that later though. I don't want to jinx what little luck I might have left by ending the year to quickly. I've just been thinking about this stuff. I've been very contemplative recently. I suppose it's because thats how I am when I'm depressed. I slink into the back of my mind and think of all the things that have passed. This is just my way of letting you into my twisted brain. I put {} around specific memories. Some of what I've written I still do. Some of it is still true. But now I have one last thing to give you. They're two lyrics set in between a play. The songs are soulmates, the play their "father." I hope you appreciate the connection as much as I did this morning as I was washing dishes. And keep in mind that this how my brain works. Random connections that actually make sense.}

Shangri-la{r as Ray Davies sings}
Now that you've found your paradise
This is your Kingdom to command
You can go outside and polish your car
Or sit by the fire in your Shangri-la
Here is your reward for working so hard
Gone are the lavatories in the back yard
Gone are the days when you dreamed of that car
You just want to sit in your Shangri-la

Put on your slippers and sit by the fire
You've reached your top and you just can't get any higher
You're in your place and you know where you are
In your Shangri-la
Sit back in your old rocking chair
You need not worry, you need not care
You can't go anywhere
Shangri-la, Shangri-la, Shangri-la

The little man who gets the train
Got a mortgage hanging over his head
But he's too scared to complain
'Cos he's conditioned that way
Time goes by and he pays off his debts
Got a TV set and a radio
For seven shillings a week
Shangri-la, Shangri-la, Shangri-la, Shangri-la, Shangri-la, Shangri-la

And all the houses in the street have got a name
'Cos all the houses in the street they look the same
Same chimney pots, same little cars, same window panes
The neighbors call to tell you things that you should know
They say their lines, they drink their tea, and then they go
They tell your business in another Shangri-la
The gas bills and the water rates, and payments on the car
Too scared to think about how insecure you are
Life ain't so happy in your little Shangri-la
Shangri-la, Shangri-la la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la

Put on your slippers and sit by the fire
You've reached your top and you just can't get any higher
You're in your place and you know where you are
In your Shangri-la
Sit back in your old rocking chair
You need not worry, you need not care
You can't go anywhere
Shangri-la, Shangri-la, Shangri-la, Shangri-la, Shangri-la, Shangri-la

Death of a Salesmen

Jingle Jangle

Watch your children around the abandoned well
Don't ask me to tell if they slipped and fell
I'm just a salesman with my suitcase in hand
And the perfect plan that should pull me out

Another day, another night, another year
Another smile, another lie, another tear
This better not be all I got
I never thought I'd end up here

Jingle jangle that's the sound of coins
Spent on useless toys made for useless boys
I'm just a salesman with my suitcase in hand
There's a piece of land that I got my eye on

Another day, another night, another year
Another smile, another lie, another tear
This better not be all I got
I never thought I'd end up here

Friday night I'll raise my glass and say
"Tomorrow things will change! I can't afford to wait."
But by Monday morning my alarm clock knows
How this story goes and the ending's the same as the start

Another day, another night, another year
Another smile, another lie, another tear
This better not be all I got
I never thought I'd end up here

Another day, another night, another year
Another smile, another lie, another tear
This better not be all I got
I never thought I'd end up here

Watch your children around the abandoned well
Don't ask me to tell if they slipped and fell
I'm just a salesman with my suitcase in hand
And the perfect plan that I'm working on

No comments: