25.2.07

Yours Truly, Angry Mob --- Kaiser Chiefs, Pt 2b

So we begin the last installment of my reviewing, track by track, Yours Truly, Angry Mob. If, for some horrible reason (or you're just lazy) and you haven't listened to the album yourself by this point, I curse you. Mind you, I haven't listened to it since yesterday, but considering how I've already listened YTAM at least ten times since Friday, I have an excuse. You, my wonderful readers, don't. Now, just as a quick reminder, here's a link to Pt 2a, aka the beginning of the review. If, for some reason, you have forgotten what I said for the first six tracks, you can read it now while listening to the first six tracks as well. Enjoy!

I Can Do It Without You: Either John Lennon is communing with the Kaiser Chiefs from the grave, or they've been eaves-dropping on Paul McCartney. But on the other hand it's also about the fact that, well...fame can kind of jump on you without any warning and everything you take for granted goes poof over night. Yes my friends, another backlash song, but this one doesn't make the band sound like dicks. Another slow song, which the band has seemed to have mastered since the last go around. Something else that should be noted for all the songs is that Whitey's leash has been greatly extended and I'm starting to wonder where Peanut was.

My Kind of Guy: In the description of this song on DIY, Stephen Ackroyd described this track as a slowed down version of Time Honoured Tradition. I would have to agree, simply because I understand what Ricky is singing but verse to chorus to verse, it doesn't make sense. So here's the minor-sounding slowed by half version of Time Honoured Tradition. I don't even have to listen to this track twice to get the review. Hurrah!

Everything is Average Nowadays: And now to get the blood pumping again, a fast track. This album's pepped up version of Modern Way the band discusses how everything is...average...nowadays. Yeah, the title kind of gives away what the hell the song is about. Stylistically speaking, Everything is Average Nowadays is more akin to Employment, so could very well be the next single after Ruby. Also, the band's multiple tours with The Cribs has seemed to have had some influence, at least in this song. Finally, there's a neato key change in the last repetition of the chorus, which makes me happy because I like obvious key changes.

Boxing Champ: Peanut gets to show off his piano skillz and Nick gets to sing lead. Self deprecation and an autobiographic tale are held within this short little ditty. Yup, that's it.

Learnt My Lesson Well: Drum solo!!!! No, seriously, at the beginning of the song there's a great drum solo. Then there are the cool back vocals and thumping bass during the verses. Musically speaking, this is one of the more adventurous songs on the album and Ricky sings "dick" which is right up there with Lily Allen singing "twat." This song also shows off what I love about Kaiser Chiefs: Happy cynicism. Could be single material, but it would be a waste on the general listening population. As the 9th Doctor would have said, "Fantastic!"

Try Your Best: Supposedly this is the band's possible answer to Oasis' Champagne Supernova(r), but I somehow think that's not entirely true. There's more to the song than that in my opinion. For instance there's an absolutely golden moment for a truly wicked guitar solo. Besides those superficial things, this song begs to be listened to over and over again. I can't really say anything else about Try Your Best. It's just one of those songs you have to listen to yourself.

Retirement: No one likes to work. Even if you're bloody famous and you love your job, inside each and everyone of us is a lazy little shit. That is what this song about, giving into the lazy shit that resides inside you. A great fist pumper and if Kaiser Chiefs hadn't already recorded OMG or IPAR a perfect concert ender. The chorus though, is pure genius as is the false ending. My second favorite on the album.

:sigh: I'm done. So, here for your delight and pleasure, a fifth link to listen to the album yourself. Also a real life review of the album from our friends at This is Fake DIY, an article from Wikipedia about the real Highroyds and an article from NME about how fucking awesome Kaiser Chiefs are. Actually it's not about that, it's about how Ruby has finally ousted Mika from his number one spot on the singles chart in the UK. Also, it's the band's first number one so yay!! I'm going to listen to YTAM again, just for the hell of it. Enjoy!

No comments: