24.2.07

Yours Truly, Angry Mob --- Kaiser Chiefs, Pt 2a

Now for my 410th entry I present a song by song analysis of Yours Truly, Angry Mob. Enjoy!

We are the angry mob/ We read the papers everyday/ We like who we like/ We hate who we hate/ But we're so easily swayed/ We are the Angry Mob

Ruby: A love song. Actually, an unrequited love song, which makes it better. A good lead off single because its closer in style to Employment than some of the other potential singles on the album. All in all a very simple song with a goofy chorus and a highly redeeming middle eight. Lets move on shall we?

The Angry Mob: A war cry for the disenchanted masses. A song with two different choruses that ends with summation of what the whole song is about. "We are the angry mob...But we're so easily swayed." Drunken brawls and declaration of sheep-hood. The best song on the whole album in my opinion.

Heat Dies Down: So you start with talking about a relationship and a cheating boyfriend (I have no idea how you know/When I dip my toes in other people's oceans). According to interviews the chorus refers to fame backlash, which makes sense when taken by itself. Within the song though, the chorus doesn't make too much sense. The song ends with the end of the relationship and the boyfriend saying "Because I have a wider knowledge of the world/I just can't face another argument/About the rent." A good contender for being made into a single and a good overall song that's fairly representative of the whole album.

Highroyds: First things first: OMG drug reference!! Though he could be saying that some girl still has his dinner money, but I like the idea that it's dealer money, far more fun. A fun fluff song that might be more, if only I could understand more of what Ricky was singing. I suspect it's mostly about the boys when they were young. Fun fluff basically, not that there is anything at all wrong with that. Oh and there's lots of "ooh"ing which is terrif.

Love's Not A Competition (But I'm Winning): Twinkly stars start out the song and then there's a fucking acoustic guitar and more twinkly stuff. Second verse brings in awesome drum rolls that make me slightly more giddy than I was seconds before. There's a higher single string guitar part that plays throughout the song that adds to the whole calm atmospheric feeling. The last part of the song ends with Nick and Rick singing two different parts over each other. What the hell is the song you ask? Here: Love's not a competition and I won't be the one to disappoint you anymore. That's what the song is about. One of the slower tracks album, but very fabu.

Thank You Very Much: Being famous can kind of suck. You have people nitpicking your whole life and adoring fans trying to steal mementos and begging for pictures and to sign their boobs. And whilst famous star X is complaining about this, Kaiser Chiefs kindly remind them that everyone use to be the crazy fan begging for an autograph and screaming in your face. Yes it sucks, but just remember; You use to be one of them. "I just imagined I that I'm you/And there's nothing, nothing, nothing I can do."

Right, so the last seven tracks will be up either tomorrow or Monday. Enjoy the first halfish and don't forget to listen to the album yourself. See you tomorrow (or Monday.)

No comments: