30.1.06

Press Envy

For fuck knows how long I've been seeing stuff (articles mostly) on NME.com about the Arctic Monkeys. That didn't really bother me mostly because there was an equal amount of articles about the Kaiser Chiefs so I was cool. Before I go much futher I would like state a couple of things:
  1. My favorite band is the Kaiser Chiefs. They're not my desert island disc, but I love them all to pieces.
  2. I've heard about 4 complete songs off of the Arctic Monkey's debut. Most of what I know is through press. Mind you from what I've heard I think they're pretty spiff.
I woke up this morning, had breakfast and found myself the Arts section of the New York Times. Who should I see on the front page, above the fold but Alex Turner looking like a goon. Alex Turner being the lead singer of the Arctic Monkeys. A nice long article about their music and how they've broken UK records and all that great stuff followed the rather bad picture. A small though lingered around my brain in the after moments of reading the article: Why them?
I'll admit the Kaiser Chiefs rise to stardom was slow and despite their 8 NME Shockwave award noms and 5/6 Brit Awards noms, they haven't gotten the press of the Arctic Monkeys. But what I find sad is how little press they got on this side of the pond. They've gotten good press my Chiefs have, but not in the US. The Arctic Monkey's haven't even released their CD and not only did they get a frontline article in the New York Times but they got a little blurb in this week's Newsweek. So, the question remains: Why them?
Franz Ferdinand is pretty big here. Not anywhere near as big as say Coldplay or U2, but still pretty big. Got some Grammy noms in their basket in fact. As far as I know they got their article in Newsweek after they released YCHISMB. Mind it was bigger and not about breaking records but the point remains.
I don't hate the Arctic Monkeys. I'm sure when their CD comes out (Feb. 21) I'll get it and really like it. I just sort of wish...I wish the Kaiser Chiefs were this big. I want to know more than one person (outside of my friends who can't help but know abou them) who knows who the hell the Kaiser Chiefs are. Seems silly I know but that's just my little dream. Kind of like meeting said band or working for NME when I get older. Dreams that don't seem too outlandish.
I'm breaking my own rules
Becoming someone else
Everybody says I oughtta get over myself
I'm thinking I can't move
If there isn't somewhere else
To go

No comments: