30.4.07

To Mar(s and Back)

Another weird day for Nore. First I had testing in the morning and due to my weekend (which I'll get to) I was completely out of sorts and couldn't remember Michelangelo (don't ask) and just generally felt really, really tired. Once the testing was I went back to school were I discovered no one was there. That's not true, it was just that a bunch of people were missing from my usual lunch table gang for various reasons so it felt like no one was there. And I so wanted to show off my sonic screw driver. Anyhoo, went to see Ms. Campbell about what I missed today and Thursday, instead got to find out why Jasmine had been calling me this weekend. I then preceded to feel like a complete shit because I didn't call her back last night when I got back home (which was around 9) from my weekend in Williamsburg. Ms. Campbell's news left me completely dazed which was fine because we didn't do anything in CW except pack books, which meant I got semi-sweaty, which I hate. Afterwards I was informed that I might be killed by Jackie tomorrow in history, but my feet still hurt and I took a hour and a half nap this afternoon so she can just suck it. I then went to chorus were we did nothing for what seemed like a really long time and then worked on a piece we are going to be doing for our final concert. Went home, took an hour and half nap and proceeded to watch "CSI," "Scrubs," and "30 Rock." So yeah, my day was really, really boring. :shock!:
So this weekend I went to Williamsburg to visit my sister and see Muse in concert. Turns out I left the tickets for the concert at home so there was some quick thinking and lots of annoying shit to be dealt with so I could see Muse in concert. The whole thing was general admission and so I got to pick out seats for Sophs and I, which was cool. I picked some really good seats that allowed for not only non-committance on our part as well as a good view of the band. But before I talk about the concert (which will be a brief review, partial set list, and bullet points) lets talk about all the walking I did!
First I walked to the bus stop so Sophs and I could take the bus to breakfast. Then we walked towards campus to get bagels and other grocery things, but ended up only getting shampoo, ear plugs, and feminine products. We then walked to Plan 9 were I got the Young Knives album Voices of Animals and Men which was uber-exciting since I've been wanting that album for ages. Then we walked to campus and saw an a Capella Christian group, who was really good, but Christian. Now I have no problem with Christianity or Evangelicals in general, but I don't like listening to evangelical pop music. But the group was really good and I tried to ignore the lyrics as much as possible, so a fairly good time was had by all. Then Sophs and I walked back to her apartment which has to be a good five miles from campus. I checked my email and such and then went out for ice cream with Sophs and her friend Laura who is my kind of crazy. Went back to Sophs' apartment and took a really long nap because I felt really sick and was tired. After said nap I took a shower and went to the concert. Huzzah!
So, Muse was the opening band for My Chemical Romance, which was interesting because I've never had direct contact with fans of bands like My Chemical Romance. Interestingly, they all looked the same. Black eyeliner, black super skinny jeans, black shirts, black hair, strange dye jobs, black Converse slip ons/high tops. I was wearing my green striped polo. Needless to say I felt a little out of place. So, onto the concert.
Once Sophs and I got settled in some seats (and after eating a cafeteria-esque cheeseburger) I prepared myself for the concert. Which didn't take much, mainly I just got my note taking paper and pen ready and tried to have a conversation with Sophs about my cultural observations. No luck there, but then the band came on, so all was good.
Muse have been lauded for their excellent live performances and I must say, they have every right to be proud. Even though they were the opening band, they were excellent and even for the songs I didn't know, I was not at all disappointed. I would really love to seem them as headliners, but I would not want to change the venue. Muse are one of those few bands that are really meant to be seen in an arena. They have the stage presence and charisma to really shine in larger venues. I couldn't imagine seeing them any other way.
So, now that I've done my quickie review, here's the partial set list. The reason it's only partial is because Muse have released four albums and I only know the songs from one of those albums. So there are some holes in my set list, which I will try to amend, but no promises. Anyhoo, here's the set list. Edit: With very much appreciated help from orangenoslide, I've filled in some of the holes in this list. Yay!
  • Knights of Cydonia
  • Unknown [really cool piano-intro] {Possibly Bliss}
  • Starlight
  • Change the world - Everything you are? [unknown] {Butterflies & Hurricanes}
  • Invincible
  • Supermassive Black Hole
  • Won't make you [unknown] {Time is Running Out}
  • ? [unknown, couldn't figure out a defining feature]
Now, my notes (yay!)
  • Tiny white and black man on stage
  • Camera phones record the events
  • Stoic bass, flashy guitar
  • Better in Britain [because you know it's true]
  • The diverse fans of MCR
  • 4th song piano middle 8/solo
  • outcome the lighters (Invincible)
  • Be impressed bitch [this was in response to Matt Bellamy, the lead singer/guitarist really showing off his guitar skillz {that's right with a z}]
  • Hey scenesters [I saw some girls who reminded me of indie-scene people and immediately thought of the Cribs song "Hey Scencesters!" What can I say?]
  • BALLOONS!!
  • What the hell is Matt doing? [he looked like he was doing something entirely inappropriate with one of the speakers off to the side]
  • Destroy the stage!

After the Muse set, I got a t-shirt and suffered through about 4 MCR songs before Sophs and I decided to leave. We walked back to her apartment.
Alright, now I know this is one of my longer entries, but this last part is the most important part of the whole thing. I've been dedicating songs to the past 5 school years, but this song is dedicated to a close friend of mine. I'm not really that good with the whole touchy-feely stuff, but I want her to know I'm thinking about her. So anyway, this is to Mar.

"Float On" by Modest Mouse
I backed my car into a cop car the other day
Well he just drove off sometimes life's ok
I ran my mouth off a bit too much oh what did I say
Well you just laughed it off it was all ok

And we'll all float on ok
And we'll all float on ok
And we'll all float on ok
And we'll all float on any way well

Well, a fake Jamaican took every last dime with that scam
It was worth it just to learn from sleight-of-hand
Bad news comes don't you worry even when it lands
Good news will work its way to all them plans
We both got fired on the exactly the same day
Well we'll float on good news is on the way

And we'll all float on ok
And we'll all float on ok
And we'll all float on ok
And we'll all float on alright
Already we'll all float on
Now don't you worry we'll all float on
Alright already we'll all float on
Alright don't worry we'll all float on

And we'll all float on alright
Already we'll all float on
Alright don't worry even if things end up a bit to heavy
We'll all float on alright
Already we'll all float on
Alright already we'll all float on
Ok don't worry we'll all float on
Even if things get heavy we'll all float on
Alright already we'll all float on
Don't you worry we'll all float on
All float on

No comments: