27.3.11

Second Hiccup

I have clipped Bright Young Things. It is, as I remembered it, an absolutely brilliant movie and I will forever love Stephen Fry for a) directing it and b) adding a happy ending for the hero and heroine (the movie is based on a book that had a rather ambiguous ending, but more on that later.) VLC worked a charm and I even managed to cut down a clip on it just by using the record button so I didn't even need to touch the MPEG program Prof. Groom mentioned. However there was and still is one minor problem. Even after cutting down the one 10 minute segment I had to about 4 minutes and then getting rid of quite a lot of other smaller clips that weren't quite as necessary (but are still somewhat important) according to my calculations (which aren't very good) I currently have 15 minutes and 25 seconds of video. The assignment is for 5 to 10 minutes. And I couldn't possibly cut anymore without cutting out vitally important scenes. As you can see, a bit of a bind. However I still need to finish my thesis paper (I know it never goes away) so I'm going to worry about that fact a little later, like Monday afternoon for instance. Still, if you haven't seen Bright Young Things or read Vile Bodies (the book the movie is based on) you really, really should. They are both quite brilliant.

2 comments:

Jim said...

Glad VLC worked a charm for you, it will make your life a lot easier. And remember cutting down to the essential bits is part of the process. It is hard, but often essential. How can you make your argument as precisely and succinctly as possible about this film? Part of the challenge, and looking forward to this one. Bright Young Things is a brilliant film.

imnora said...

But cutting is so hard, I already had to lose one part of my argument for time purposes. I suspect there will be a director's cut once all is said and done.