13.12.05

Appreciation

There are a lot of songs that I love. There are a lot of songs that I like. There are a lot of songs that I'll listen to on repeat and listen to 15, 20 times in a row (Indie Rock and Roll for instance.) Most of these songs fall into one category or another. Pop, rock, indie, fluff, cynical, hypocritical, and some are just not understandable until you listen to them at least 30 times. I love them all for one reason or another, be it the hook, the lyrics or the fact that the whole world seems to want to cover that song, so of course the original is the best (Stuck in the Middle is a good example.) But there is always something and if you give me the time I will tell you, or at least try to tell you, what exactly makes me love a song. It's harder to say why I love a band, but given the time it's not so hard to tell you why I love a song. Sometimes the explanations don’t make sense, but then again I don't always make sense. Sometimes the songs have more of an emotional connection. The songs I love aren't always the most brilliant things in the world (Mama Mia) and sometimes they're horribly complicated (Beethoven's 5th symphony, last movement.) In either instance something made me love that song. So there a lot of songs that I love. There are a lot of songs that I like. And I'll always have the time to explain why. Even if it takes me a little bit.

No comments: