7.1.06

Strokes

Strokes do bad things to people. The most recent example of this Ariel Sharon. Poor guy.
Strokes don't do things to people as well. The only example I can of this is when you stroke a cat. Except I think that's suppose to lower your blood pressure. In any event you can stroke a lot of other things as well. Like fur, or cloth, or people. The last one can be a bit disturbing though. So forget about that. You can stroke your hair. You can stroke a guitar. If done in a certain way, stroking a guitar can sound very pretty. I think you get the jist of this. In fact according to dictionary.com there are multiple definitions for stroke. And now that I've typed it enough, stroke is startin' to look kinda weird. Moving on!
The Strokes first CD came out in 2001. I was in 7th grade. (Redskins just won the wildcard game. My family is yelling in happines. Thought you might like to know.) I was depressed more than likely. They used some weird effect that kind of seemed to cover the lead singer's voice. I was particularly partial to it. I was kind of moving towards hating all popular music. Needless to say, I haven't listened to the first, or for that matter the second, CD in...well since either first came out.
I think this is sort of funny. I really got into the Kaiser Chiefs and so started searching for anything that would give me information about them. In the course of things I learned about the hype around Franz Ferdinand, mainly from NME, listened to their first CD and fell. I've been checking NME everyday (or almost everyday, at least once) for awhile now. At least since the summer I think. In any event, the Strokes 3rd CD was highly hyped. But not only by NME. By, seemingly, everyone. Juicebox, the first single, was highly hyped. I was vaguely interested, at least interested enough to watch the video. I heard the song on our new XM radio and, ya know what, I thought "Hey. Not so bad."
So what's funny? It seems to be that I have to be told what I should be liking to even pay attention. Sometimes what I'm suppose to like, I don't actually like but for the most part it turns out for the best. I guess what I'm trying to say is that for all the obscurity and trendiness of the music I listen to, I'm not really a trendsetter. To me, the fact that it took 2 CDs and 5 years for me to get interested in the Strokes kinda tells you something about me. The only exceptions are the Killers, Kaiser Chiefs, Keane, and Maximo Park. Somebody (Sophs) told me I would like OK Go. Somebody (NME) told me that I would like the Strokes new CD. Somebody (more than likely NME) told me to pay attention to Franz Ferdinand. Somebody (Yahoo) told me I would like Arcade Fire. Somebody (Yahoo again) told me I would like Rilo Kiley. Mind you, I had to listen, I had to approve. But except for the exceptions, I was informed, I did not find.
I keep thinking I'm a hypocrite. Sure, everyone to some extent is a hypocrite but I think I'm a pretty big hypocrite. :shrugs: But what can I do? I just need to be nudged a little. Besides, I don't claim anything. I am who I am. No lables that aren't true, no boxed in title I need to somehow fufil. So yes, I am a hypocrite. But so are the Strokes. And everyone else.

No comments: