27.2.06

Whatever People Say I am, That's What I'm Not --- Artic Monkey

Disconcerting gap in the middle. Disconcerting if you haven't heard these songs before and you think the first track is over when it's not. The song itself seems to be something old and new at the same time before reverting in my mind to an early version of the Clash (were they around today and had grew up listening to themselves.) The accent is thick but on the first listening words don't matter much. First listenings are about the music. And the music is different than some but I know I could find a band somewhere that sounds something like this. And of course they end on a chord that is reminiscent of the early days of rock. Of course.
The opening is familiar because the song is familiar. The chorus has been stuck in my head at least once. If the lyrics are the best part, I sort of wish I could understand what he's saying more than 85% of the time. The music isn't particularly spectacular (Franz Ferdinand is more inventive by far) but it's a debut album. So I'm not exactly disappointed. Besides it's only the second song. It might improve.
His voice. I'm not sure whether it's snobby or just whether it's just his accent.
The middle of this song annoys me. It's not a proper chorus. But now I'm listening. This is different. Better, somewhat interesting. Hmm...they like tempo changes but they aren't smooth.
This all seems vaguely familiar. The style of it seems so bland in a way. But then again it seems all together new though not particularly interesting. For some reason I think this band would be more enjoyable live than on record.
Hmm...that was different.
Old school. Yeah that's the word. Sophs is right. This an old school cd. Punk pop rock. A lighter less mature version of what the Clash did. Not bad just not I was sold. I was sold something different but I'm not disappointed. Besides, it might take a few listenings to get really into. Though the British reviews made it seem otherwize. Made it seem excitingly new and different. Made it seem like a departure from everything else. New (yes), different (no), a departure (in a sense, if you don't listen to the lyrics of Franz Ferdinand or Kaiser Chiefs.)
So familiar. The slow ones are better than the fast ones. Like 50's rock. Real nice.
I'll say this. I appreciate what they're doing. I appreciate the length of the songs and the way the songs are written. And I'll admit it's good. But if I heard this in a record shop I wouldn't buy but I might ask who it is. They don't catch your attention immediatly. Not like Franz. Not like Kaiser Chiefs. Though the latter took some getting use to. So did the former actually. Maybe it's because I'm not British but I think after a lot of listening I'll get use to them as well. At least I'm willing to give them a try.
After track 10 (and including track 10) the album becomes suddenly stronger and more interesting. This is the part that lives up to the reviews. This is different. I'm interested to see if it holds up.
Oh and extra snaps for the song titles. "Maybe Vampires is a Bit Strong..." that's a good one.

Favorites:
Maybe Vampires is a Bit Strong -- Most original song on the album, the guitar riffs are fabu.
When the Sun Goes Down -- I love the opening. Acoustic transitioning to electric is done really well and the song is very strong.
A Certain Romance -- Strong opening, very strong opening. Reminds me of the Talking Heads a bit. The lyrics (the parts I understand) are brilliant. A pessimistic champion in tune with Modern Way and Shangri-La. A wonderful way to end the album. Probably the best track on here.

No comments: