14.7.06

My Problem with American Music and Their Subsequent Fans

I'm not entirely sure which annoys me more: The actual bands that started in the States (Fall Out Boy, Panic! at the Disco, etc.) or their fans. You see I never really listen to that stuff. I like my music mainly imported (Franzie, KC, AM, etc.) so I never really listen to the homegrown kind. What I'm mainly exposed to are the arguments (The Killers v. Emo) or the homegrown bands' fans. The fans that I'm exposed to, you must understand, are the truly obsessive almost stalker like ones. They aren't like me. I can be scary (RICKY!!!) but I don't talk to the whole world about it. These fans are vehement about their bands and will defend them to the ground, even if the bands are completely in the wrong. I guess that's my main problem. That and the fact that the bands aren't terribly inventive. Admittedly I've heard maybe 2 songs by P!atD and I own FOB's latest album. Cute is What We Aim For and The Academy Is... are completely foreign territory. But they all seem to get lumped together so I get the sense that these bands are good at just a few things: Writing about sex, repeating the same line about twenty times in a row with no noticeable difference, writing about a lack of sex, and writing about how they can't get girls. They all seem to (knowingly or unknowingly) fuel a lot of drama. And finally Brandon Flowers thinks their evil. But, I'm still not sure which annoys me more: The bands or the fans. All I can think of is "Fake Tales of San Francisco" or more specifically these lines from the end of the song: "I'd love to tell you all my problem/You're not from New York City, you're from Rotherham/So get off the bandwagon, and put down the handbook." Especially the last bit. So get off the bandwagon (all you fans) and but down the handbook (all you bands.)

No comments: