11.9.06

Five Years

Has it really been five years? I can remember thinking it was a hoax, a prank. God...has it really been five years?
Five years ago the Strokes released their first CD. I was slowly spiraling down into my own oblivion, trying desperately to ignore the fact. Five years ago Kaiser Chiefs, Keane, Maximo Park, fuck, most of the bands I like, didn't exist, or at least not how I know them. Five years ago I was getting use to the fact that middle school wasn't going to be much better than 6th grade. If only I had known how much worse things would get. Five years ago I was truly naive.
Five years ago "Gilmore Girls" had been on for a year. The Bush administration had been around for a year as well. Five years ago reality turned into a movie. Even now it's hard to believe it happened. It seems so surreal. How does something like that happen? Real life isn't like that. Except now. Real life is like that now.
Five years ago Gorillaz came out with their self titled CD. I didn't even know who that was, let alone the band that preceded Gorillaz. There was so much I didn't know. I couldn't have known. But look at life now. What don't I know, that I will know five years from now? The world, day to day life has changed so much, so drastically in just five years. How much will have changed five years from now?
I was in chorus. Chris told the class, I didn't believe him. It wasn't until I got home that it really it me. Two buildings and thousands of people I had never heard of and never met had been destroyed. Five years ago.

No comments: