15.7.07

The Chronicles of New Caledonia

I'm thinking of running a spike through my temples in the hope that the pain in them will be relieved. Either that or the new pain caused by the spike running through my brain will be kinder to me than the current pain in my brain. In any event, I have to find a spike first and that might prove tricky. Still, a spike through my temples doesn't sound too bad right now.
So, in my British history crunch, I've discovered why the Brits were such pissers about taxes in the colonies. The reason is, is that because William (of William and Mary fame) was also the head of the Dutch Republic the UK got dragged into the Continental war that was going on and the treasury got sunk. The mainland Brits were already up to their teeth in taxes and if any of the Georges (George I, George II or George III the looney) had tried to tax them any more there would have been nation wide rioting and probably another civil war. Better to tax the people who can't directly kill you than to tax the people who can. I also found out where the terms 'Whigs' and 'Tories' came from (Scotland and Ireland respectively.) Unfortunately I'm still waiting around for the first Prime Minister, but I don't think that's going to be happening in this book. I don't know, so we'll see. What else have I learned...oh, I learned how Scotland became apart of England after about a century of British kings (and Oliver Cromwell) trying to force them into being friends (money, always money.) I now better understand why the Scottish, the English, the Welsh, and the Irish all either out rightly hate each other or just sneer at each other with an air of loathing. And, despite my love of all things British, it's basically the English's fault. Damn limeys.
As stated in my previous post, iLike fails at life and gives me false hope. I'm just hoping that some band (We Are Scientists, Arctic Monkeys, the Fratellis [though that's very unlikely], Keane, KT Tunstall) pulls through and does a US tour this fall/winter so that I can be horrendously cool and drag my new friends with me to see them (oh yes, I have plans.) Nonetheless, iLike fails at life.
Finally I would like to point out that very few people read my Blogger blog. In fact I kind of suspect that I'm the only one who really reads it. Oh well, it's fun.

No comments: