9.7.07

Quick(ish) Stop

So I was hoping to take another respite from blogging this week, but I've already got three (techincally four) non-music articles waiting to be written about and I'm really bored. Which explains the sort of music related article I want so desperately to post, but that will have to wait. First! Random articles!
As some of you might know (and if you've been paying any attention at all, should really know) Doctor Who recently ended it's run in the UK and much has been said about recent casting news and how absolutely bollocks the season finale was, etc, etc. What I found to be most interesting was an article that was reposted on Behind the Sofa. I'm not much of a boardie on Oupost Gallifrey and so I don't know how accurate the article is, but it's hilarious nonetheless. Now you don't really have to know anything about Doctor Who to understand the jokes, you just have to have some knowledge of how message boards and sci-fi/fantasy fandoms work. The article itself is terribly long, but skim through it and laugh when appropriate. So, I present without further ado, "The Doctor Who Fan's Phrasebook."
In 9th grade I was forced to read The Catcher in the Rye and hated almost every word of it. I thought Holden Caulfield was a whiney pretentious son of a bitch who didn't really present a strong case for why he moped around the whole time. I know the majority of the reading population disagrees with me and that the book is considered to be a seminal piece of literature, something everyone should read at least once. I personally think it's a bunch of crap. Interestingly the author, J.D. Salinger is something of a recluse, which brings us to our next article which is the AV Club's list of the 12 Famous Living Recluses. The list is filled with names I know (accept for the Residents) and I found it to be an interesting read. One has to wonder what made these people turn away from the spotlight (besides the bright lights and potential for fiery downfalls) and become recluses. Second question is whether their hermits or just very private about their lives. The best part is Thomas Pynchon's response to the rumours about him: "My belief is that 'recluse' is a code word generated by journalists... meaning, 'doesn't like to talk to reporters." Trueche Mr. Pynchon, trueche.
This next article is for Alex who loves biking. The article about the Tour de France prelude that happened in London this past weekend. I suspect he doesn't actually read this journal because he has more of life than me, but you never know. Anyhoo here is one man's perspective on the London prelude: Le Tour triumph.
I'm going to take a short break and then come back with the last article. You won't actually know I'm taking a break, because I'm putting everything into one entry, but I thought you might like to know that I'm taking a break. So, break (small freak out) and then the last article.
And we're back...
A simple fact should be known by all about me: I'm a horrible person. By horrible I mean a ridiculous human being, like Missy Eliot or Ryan Jarman. And by a ridiculous human being I mean a former obsessive fangirl. In an effort to not be such a horrible person, I limit how often I check the Kaiser Chief's official website. I think that part of my past problem was that I was too involved with their goings ons and so lost sight of the fact that I live in Virginia and am 10 years younger than most of them. But sometimes, when I'm really, really, extraordinarily bored, I check to see what's up and all that. Well today was one of those days, and boy did I get a treat.
I know as much about soccer/football as I know about football or cycling. Most sports in fact are a mystery to me, but I do know one thing about soccer/football: The people of the British Isles are obsessed with it. Everyone plays, the players are as famous as rock stars and their girlfriends and wives have a special category (their called wags for no apparent reason.) All in all, soccer/football is a very popular sport and I know jack about it. But who cares right? Not me, that's for certain.
Some might be grumbling at this point, "Get on with fucking article Nore." Fine, I will. But one last thing: Just remember that I'm a horrible person. So, for you're viewing and reading pleasure, Living the Dream: A Vice Captains Blog

No comments: