8.8.07

Dog Days of Summer

The further I get away from Saturday (aka Virgin Festival) the less enthusiastic I am about writing about it. The day started out optimistically enough, but by the time Amy Winehouse's set was over, I'd had my fill of the heat, the heat, the heat, and I just didn't want to stick around for another 3-5 hours to see the Police. There was no point. I had gone through two one litre bottles of water and a standard Gatorade bottle. This is not to say that I had the worst time of my life or that I've somehow changed my mind about festivals in general. I just realized that festivals in Europe are a hell of lot cooler (even without the massive amounts of rain they got this year) and so are more enjoyable than ones in 90 degree heat with a heat index temperature of over 100. Mind you, depending on next years line-up, I'll probably go again, but I'm just that crazy. Hopefully though, next year won't be as hot as this year.
Now, as to the performances: I was incredibly impressed with all of the artists I saw (Fountains of Wayne, the Fratellis, and Amy Winehouse) and would love to see them again in a cooler venue. I have to admit I wasn't really paying a lot of attention to any of the artist I saw, either because I didn't know them that well or because I was feeling absolutely wretched from sun over-exposure (I was wearing a hat, I had sunglasses on, and I had sunscreen. I still felt like shit.) For the artists I did go to the festival to see (Fratellis, Amy Winehouse) I was very impressed with their ability to play tight sets (not as easy as it looks) without that much time in-between sets (about 20 minutes between each act, including switching gear and sound check, the one's I've experienced take much longer) as well as their overall musical performance. Basically, if it hadn't been for the god damn miserable fucking shitty heat, I would have had a lot of fun.
Oy, I'm off to bed now. Got all my accommodations and then some, yearned to be in London where the current temperature is a nice 71 degrees (God I hate them) and to answer Mr. Last Bus' question: I DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now, bed.
Oh, and if you want a set, go listen to the previously mentioned artists' albums and add "Valerie" to Ms. Winehouse's list. To tired to write them up proper.

No comments: