3.8.07

A Day of Relaxation

So tomorrow is V(irgin) Fest(ival) which means I'll be out for the count for a couple of days (at least). After that I have my meeting about accommodations down at UMW on Wednesday and then Cold War Kids/Muse concert Thursday and the Cribsies on Saturday. What does all of this mean for you my well meaning reader? I'm going to be incommunicado for a week to two, depending on how this upcoming week goes and whether I'll be actually be able to check things while we're at the beach (leaving Sunday after the Cribs' show.) Thus, no blog updates. Anyway, just a warning ahead of time.
The Friday Five of Randomness
1. If you were a fruit, which would you be and why?
Umm...Granny Smith Apple and not just because it's green.

2. If you wake up and smell smoke, and you have to get everybody (pets included) out of the house safely, but you have time to grab one item, what would you grab?
That's a toughie. Oh, who am I kidding? Mp3 player, duh.

3. If you were stuck on an island, who would be the one person you would want with you and why?
Okay, now this actually hard. I don't know maybe a man (or woman) made of electricity, who never runs out, so I could constantly have my music. But, in loo of that...dunno.

4. If you could change one thing about your physical appearance, what would it be?
My doughy physique. Either that or my height.

5. If you could spend the day with one famous person, dead or alive, who would you choose?
Oh god. I'm not answering this.

Music News
It's the end of the Arctic Monkeys as we know it. Ya know why? Alex Turner is cheating on his band with some punk named Miles. It's all down hill from here my friends, all down hill. Pretty soon Alex will think he's better than the Monkeys and won't want to work with them any more. Then the band will break up, because the rest of the guys won't be able to put up with Alex's inflated ego, and Mr. Turner will start writing shite songs about being betrayed by his friends and the "good ol' days." Yes, the end is nigh!
While we're at DiS, let's look at a review they wrote for Kate Nash's debute album. Normally what I do is read the opening sentence or two, just to get a feel for how things are going for the artist, then scroll to the bottom of the review to see the how they ranked out of 10. With Ms. Nash's review, reading the opening sentences is useless. So I read about the different eras of popular music and then gave up. I don't normally read reviews for artists I'm not really fond of, but this review is just ridiculous. If you take the review and copy into Microsoft word, the whole thing comes out to about four pages. The actual review (without all the background nonsense) is a respectable, if slightly above average, page and a half in length. In essences Mr. Adams thinks that the album is light fluffy crap, along the lines of...no one I listen to, and he gives the album a four out of ten. But for chrissake, does it really take four pages to say that Ms. Nash is a product of her era, if a slightly less talented than some? And aren't there word limits over at DiS?
Now, over to a place where I'm sure there are word limits for their reviews, NME writer Jamie Fullerton thinks that all the British music festivals should be taken abroad. Now, as Mr. Fullerton points out, this would nullify the festivals British-ness, but I think this is a great idea. I vote for Carling Weekend being moved to DC and Baltimore. Glasto could be in upstate New York and O2 could be in Maine. Wouldn't that be nice?
In my own psychotic way, I've been waiting for DIY to post their reaction to KC's new video. Since they seem to love the band as much as I do, I knew that eventually they would do one of their quick little write-ups and put it up for a few days under the videos section. Well they didn't fail me and this is what they have to say:"We're a bit confused by this one, to say the least. And not just 'cause Simon's hair looks weird..." To read the rest (and watch the damned thing if you desire to have your eyes scarred), click "this." I agree with them (as I usually do) and was glad someone else noticed the way Simon's hair looked. Anyway, I love DIY, I want to work there when I graduate university and the people who work there are the coolest people alive. God I wish I could work for them.
:sigh: I'm such a ridiculous human being.

No comments: