14.9.07

Harpy Bitch

If it seems that I'm harping on certain things, it's probably because I am harping on certain things. My main beef this week (and for the past year or so) is the utter bullshit that pop stars can get away with and the utter bullshit the record labels can get away with. This whole "utter bullshit" thing has been epitomized by a recent slew of artists cancelling tours for rather idiotic reasons. First we have Dick Chiefs cancelling their tour and then a few hours (or something along those lines) the Noisettes cancelling their tour because they "need a break." In the past few months, particularly during the heavy days of July, we had a handful of artists cancel tours because of exhaustion. Now we have artists cancelling tours because they basically just don't feel like it. Now I didn't particularly care for Ms. Allen cancelling a whole slew of her tour dates, but at least she had a doctor's note and a honest to goodness illness causing her to do this. Amy Winehouse also has as extremely good excuse (drug/alcohol addiction), as does Meg White. I didn't even mind when artists cancelled because of exhaustion. But saying you need a break? Jesus people, have some balls and lie to the fans at least.
Now the reason I've decided to address this issue today, when there's so much else to talk about (hahahahaha), is because of some ads I've been seeing on the Filter site. I did screen-caps for your viewing pleasure, but basically t'Chiefs are trying to make it seem cool and thrilling that they've just cancelled the majority of the their NA tour:

And...

I hate false advertising. Over the summer when I was seeing adds for The Last Legion I bitched about how the adverts made it seem like this was the real story of King Arthur, etc. My sister got annoyed, but I really hate that kind of blatant false advertising. Which is why t'Chiefs' adverts on Filter really piss me off. A week ago, there was a whole NA tour. Now there's "exclusive" shows. It's like the band is rubbing it in that they've been complete twats this past week, as well as shilling YTAM in the process. So let's see; they release the album a month later in the States than everywhere else (which is an industry wide problem) and now they've cancelled tour dates for a completely bullshit reason (remember when critics use to harp at Mariah Carey and Britney Spears for pulling the exhaustion card?). The truth is, the music industry is being allowed to get away with bullshit (my new favourite word) and nobody says a word about it. Something has to change, or this situation is only going to get worse.

No comments: