27.12.08

Awkward Rambling is Awkward

Oh there is so much to say. So very, very much to say. But I guess I'll start with the most recent events and work my way backwards. So I guess the first event is Christmas, so we begin.
Since my family did not host Thanksgiving, it was our turn to host Christmas. Holidays are always rather awkward because half of my family (Sophs and Dad) don't really get along with my aunt's family and refuse to make an effort to have inane small talk with them. Therefore, because by this point in the day I too have given up having any kind of small talk with anyone, my Mums is left trying to have inane small talk with six people (three cousins, one uncle, one aunt and one great-uncle). The whole thing becomes extraordinarily awkward, boring, and slightly hellish leaving me (who is already quite tired from all the cooking and waking up before noon) even more tired than I was to begin with. Nevertheless you could say I had a good Christmas because I had a good and very filling meal and got some really excellent presents. By all other measures though, my Christmas was fairly mediocre, but I'm use to that now and don't really expect anything else.
So what did I get for Christmas that makes up for the fact that most of my Christmas was really rather dull you may be asking. I got The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy radio series, that's what. The complete original radio series. All mine on 14 CDs. As I said when I opened it, I win at life. I also got some really interesting/exciting books including new Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman books as well as a memoir about a reporter who lived in England for a rather long time. I got some essential DVDs and a book to hold my hand-written set lists, courtesy of my sister. I also got handsoap in a frog dispenser from my Mum's mum. I really wished she had looked at my Amazon wish list, but oh well. So that was my Christmas: Excellent gifts (mostly) and a really awkward late afternoon/evening.
The time up to Christmas was spent staving off depression, hacking (as a severe form of coughing) up my lungs, and doing various things on my computer. I talked to Hunter some as well which always made (and makes) things a bit better than they were before. As I always remind myself, things could be a hell of a lot worse than they currently are and can always and quite often do get better. As long as I keep that in mind and watch QI whenever possible, I'm fine really.
It's sort of funny, I've realized in talking to Hunter over the phone I have this really awkward habit of rambling when I don't know what to say and don't really have anything to say but feel I need to say something. I'm not quite sure what he makes of it, but I'm always kind of annoyed with myself afterwards because I know I was rambling and generally not making sense at all. But he's working his way through the first season of Torchwood and his reaction to it is rather amusing. Next time I see him I may not let go because he's so damn cute.
Finally, I watched my various Christmas specials and the Mock the Week and QI ones were hilarious (which is to be expected) and the Doctor Who special was emo-tastic. Just really, really, amazingly angsty in some parts, but good nonetheless. I can't wait to get the DW series 4 box set.
Alright, I'm going to watch some more QI and possibly listen to more HHGG, we'll see. Entries will continue to be sparse until I get back to school, but even that's not a guarantee. You'll just have to wait and see.

No comments: