28.1.09

Dichotomy

You know a class is going well, and you really trust and like the people in that class, when your professor starts playing "Dancing Queen" and nearly everyone, without hesitation, starts singing along. That is the sign of a tight-knit group of people. Another sign is when you unanimously decide that your music history professor sucks and you start calling her Dolores Umbridge, because that's who she reminds you of. It's an odd dichotomy though. I'm loving my theory class right now but loathing my music history class. Today I wrote out the bridge from "Lucid Dreams" (the not funky version from the album) and the bridge from "Perfect Symmetry" during music history. I don't need to take notes, because Prof. Roach/Umbridge is teaching directly from the book. Meanwhile in theory we're singing "Dancing Queen" and discussing theme and variation techniques. I'm actually taking real notes. It's all very strange in my opinion.
Meanwhile over in Asian Civ. I'm cursing British politics. It's odd for me because usually I avoid thinking about Victorian era British politics and politics in general because it invariably annoys me. However the subject can no longer be avoided and now I'm very annoyed. Not that the Chinese were completely defenceless or unaware of the problems being created by opium, but declaring war on a country because they destroy your illegal product seems completely idiotic to me. Yes, I know they didn't want to lose silver, but still. Opium was illegal, so why make a fuss over its destruction. Lord knows you can get more. Nonetheless, Asian Civ. is excellent.
On a last note, I have three homes: Pollard (morning home), the Washroom (afternoon home) and my room in Arrington (evening home.) Because of the way my schedule has worked out and my own need not to spend more than four or five hours in my room, I generally don't get back to my room until 5 or 6 most days. This makes me happy and I've gotten a lot of extracurricular reading done which also makes me happy. But yes, I have three homes.

No comments: