30.8.09

First Week 2009

Tonight I'm finally going to get to see Fraaaaaanz Ferdinaaaaaaaand. It will be the highlight of what has proven to be a slightly stressful and definitely an exhausting week.
This week has proven why I hate bureaucracy. While the inefficiencies of bureaucracy amuse to a certain extent, it's also terribly exhausting and frustrating when those inefficiencies get in the way of my well thought out plans. This week has also proven why people in positions of power can be absolute fucking idiots. So let's start with Monday.
Monday wasn't actually that stressful save for the fact that I didn't request disability accommodations when I thought I had and therefore did not get to tell my professors about said accommodations at the time I thought I would be. Otherwise Monday was extremely unstressful, especially compared to the rest of my week. My pysch professor is great and I'm really looking forward to that class. Theory is theory and there's not a whole hell of a lot I can do to change the insanity of the 20th century. I also had my first (and it would turn out last) pilates class which was really enjoyable.
Tuesday proved to be slightly more stressful only because I couldn't do band set-up until a half-hour before practice was suppose to start and neither Bartram nor I had any idea how many of each instrument was going to show up. This year we have a plethora of clarinets (a subject I'll address more of in my recap of Thursday) and a scarcity of brass. And one percussionist. Band's going to be very depressing this semester. Music history (which from this point forward will be called "history") on the other hand is going to be great. Prof. Fillerup is as wonderful as I remember her being and I'm really looking forward to this semester. Astronomy...I'll address astronomy when I get to Thursday.
Wednesday was a lot like Monday except I had club carnival. Club carnival consisted of me standing in the sweltering heat shilling the radio station to passing strangers. It wasn't that bad really, until I had re-sign-up for the DW club (which will always be the DW club, I don't care). That was painful only because I had to act like I didn't want punch my ex in the face and break his sonic screwdriver pen. I also had chorus on Wednesday I'm really, really hoping that I won't be section leader again this semester. It's a good group though and I think this will be another excellent semester, though hopefully no fainting.
Oh Thursday. I spent a lot of time explaining my accommodations to various professor, some who got it and some who didn't. I also had Bartram tell me that all of the 3rd clarinets, save myself, suck. Band will continue to be very frustrating and I'm just glad Stephanie agrees with me. I don't think I could room with someone who doesn't think Bartram is a prat, which he is. Now astronomy.
Oh astronomy. I was so excited about astronomy. And when the professor turned out to be a mumbling old man I thought "My love of the stars and planets and having someone else take my notes will get me through this class." But then Prof. Royce gave me back the notebook that I had given him so that he could ask someone in the class to take notes for me and at that point it became painfully clear that not only was he a mumbling old man, he was mumbling, batty old man who didn't understand the idea behind disability accommodations. I was going to have to fight him every single time I wanted one of my accommodations fulfilled. My love of the planets and stars was not going to be enough to get me through this class. So when my mum told me to get the hell out of the class, I did. I'm now taking "Studies in Faith and Literature" wherein I will read my second work by Camus and my first by Dostoevsky (1,045 pages). I'm also going to get to take an extra yoga and kickboxing class, which is nice.
Friday wasn't particularly special. I had to tromp over to Marye house because bureaucracy is stupid and a fellow student in my psych had to have the principle behind assisted note taking explained to her, which has never happened before and I thought Prof. Mailloux handled it wonderfully.
So that's it. Monday the radio station is having an interest meeting at four which should be amusing and I have my first show on Wednesday (9pm to 10pm EST). A set list from tonight's show should be up within the week, but I make no promises. Until next time.

No comments: