17.10.09

Switzerland

I don't think I'll ever completely understand human nature. I do my best (as do philosophers and psychologists) but certain things just baffle me. For instance, why would you re-re-start dating someone who cheated on you repeatedly? Why be with someone who you seem incapable of being nice to? I'll never understand some things that people do.
In the positively brilliant play Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? the main characters George and Martha make everyone around them uncomfortable with their constant arguing and bickering. Reading the play was uncomfortable and profoundly moving, but imagine being around a couple, a very young couple, who are similar to that. They constantly bicker and you can just imagine what they'll be like in 20 years time, old and married. They'll still be bickering, the husband giving into the wife in a desperate bid to make her happy, but she'll never be happy. I know that attraction is uncontrollable and has absolutely nothing to do with logic (for the most part, and if it's real attraction) but why would you do that to yourself? Put yourself on the path to becoming a real life George and Martha? It's agonizing to watch the two of them go because in the back of my mind I'm seeing an old married couple who have done clinical psychological damage to their children. Maybe I'm just jealous (always a possibility), but what do you do? Ignore the awkwardness and hope that it goes away? Try to placate everyone by being Switzerland? I don't know. All I know is that it's frustrating at times. And confusing in general.
I made the big leap and read the entirety of the Wikipedia entry on Mika. He's a trained musician and has dyslexia. My respect has grown 100 fold and just proves my entire pro-pop music point: Really good pop music takes a knowledge of music beyond the power chords. :sticks out tongue in the general direction of Dr. Long:
And now, back to Bones.

No comments: