16.1.10

Journey to a Foreign Land Pt. 1

Right now my head's spinning (lack of proper food, lack of sleep, not taking my meds until very late in the day...who knows) but I'll persevere because there's so much to say. I'm in London people and it's real. An example: The guy who lives next to me (I know) said, after introducing himself "You're American?" Yeah people, this shits real.
I spent most of Friday either not feeling much of anything or feeling really nervous. By the time I got to the airport I was sort of just not accepting that any of what was happening was really happening. It was just something I was experiencing, but it wouldn't have any consequences. And then I got to the security line, which was ridiculously long and then...the metal detector. I haven't been on an airplane in years and so all these new rules and regulations plus my nerves completely tripped me up. I forgot to take off my watch and I didn't handle my computer correctly. But the best part was after taking of my watch the metal detector still went off. That's right ladies, if you're wearing an underwire there's a 50/50 chance it will be detected. So I got patted down after it was confirmed that the bra was the culprit, which wasn't that bad, just kind of bizarre. Still, not a great way to start a trip.
After a seemingly endless walk to get to my terminal I finally arrived with an hour to spare, so I decided to get some dinner. I arrived a half hour before boarding and then was herded in to my seat. I now understand what it feels like to be a chicken. Whilst being herded into my seat I got to hear a positively excellent cover of the Strokes "Last Night" and by excellent I mean horrifying. It was a smooth jazz version of the song. Once everyone was settled in and the pre-flight nonsense was done and we were up in the air one of the people who was sitting in my row disappeared which meant that me and the guy I was sitting next both had an extra seat to use (the guy on my other side didn't show up). This lead to an interesting game of "How many different equally uncomfortable positions can Nore arrange herself in, in an effort to sleep." I think I got about three hours of sleep total before my back just decided this wasn't happening. Around 5am GMT I was given the choice of juice, tea or coffee, and a granola bar or a muffin. I had orange juice and a muffin and tried my damnedest to go back to sleep after that. I didn't happen.
The plane landed at 6:40am GMT but we weren't let off the plane until about 7am.
In my next entry, the rest of today. Large parts of it were spent being cold.

No comments: