24.1.10

My Weekend in Not So Brief

I have finally been able to put up some posters on my wall. It turns out scotch tape doesn't work and the walls must be made of cement because I couldn't make push pins work either. Today though, in a fit of efficiency, I got Blu Tack and finally got my posters to stay up for longer than 2 minutes. I'm use to having an insane amount of colour in my room, so not having any for a week was absolutely miserable and I'm quite enjoying having the vibrant colours of my newly acquired poster. One says "Keep Calm and Carry On" which I got from the V&A Museum. I also got a poster of the cover for Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, which was acquired at the Beatles Coffee Shop near the St. John's Wood tube station. Of course I also put up my mini-poster from A Clockwork Orange. I've also put up some postcards on the pin board that the school provides, so I'm very slowly becoming more pleased with the appearance of my room. I also got a pillow case that's 100% cotton, which considering how everything else on my bed is a 50/50 blend of cotton and polyester, will be quite nice for my head. Now onto more interesting things.
Yesterday I spent the day in the city with a friend of my Mum's and got stay over at her house which was really nice. During the day though we went to Westminster Abbey which was really very beautiful. My only disappointment was that I couldn't take a picture of Handel's tomb marker inside the church, which would have been absolutely brilliant, but sadly no photography inside the church. The best part of the day though was that we took the bus everywhere and we sat on the top level so I got see parts of the city that I hadn't seen before. While the Underground is definitely faster than taking a bus, you don't get to see all the streets and houses and stores that you get to see when you're on a bus. It also helped that we were going along Regent and Oxford street which are the main shopping streets in London. So many big stores, so little time. After Westminster, we went back to her house where we preceded to watch the most recent episode of QI and episodes from the first series. It was actually really nice because I also got to call home and talk to everyone except the dogs (though I did tell Dad to say hi to them for me, hopefully he did that.)
This morning I had my glass of juice and nothing else (damn you stomach!). Marjie (my Mum's friend) finished knitting the hat she had started last night and then we headed out to Abbey Road which she lives really close to. She took some pictures of me crossing the street, which considering the weather came out okay. Then we walked back to St. John's Wood tube station where I got the poster I mentioned, a postcard to keep and a postcard I'm sending to my Mum, and a keychain of the submarine from the cover of Yellow Submarine (clever, I know.) Then began the long journey home.
As you may or may not know London is hosting the summer Olympics in 2012. Because of this various parts of what makes a city run are being renovated so that when even bigger groups of tourists come to London, they'll be impressed. This includes the Underground. So today the entire Metropolitan line (my line) and the northern bit of the Jubilee line (Marjie's main line) were closed for renovations. This will be an ongoing problem on the weekends, because for some reason London doesn't care about people who are outside of zone 1 (I'm in zone 4.) Today I got to see all the streets I manage to avoid by taking the Underground. I took about an hour and half to finally get back to Northwick Park which is where I am. Now I had music and found looking at the buildings very interesting but if I hadn't left around 1pm, or let's say I had left at like 2pm, I wouldn't have been back until 3:30 or 4pm and that's just ridiculous, especially considering how everything closes at 5pm on Sundays. Still, it was really lovely to see so much of the city that I will probably see again next weekend.
One last note: If you've ever seen the 5th Harry Potter movie, the night bus sequence, while fantastical, is not completely outside the realm of reality. Bus drivers are crazy. They drive incredibly fast, I don't know how they make the turns they do, I was constantly waiting for the bus to get into a horrible accident with the other cars on the road, and sides of the road are for other people. But then again, I think that's just how people drive here. Until next time, don't panic.

No comments: