1.2.10

My Weekend in the NORTH

This weekend I went to the NORTH. Not just the North. Or the north. I went to the NORTH. You see according to the signs that we (myself and all the other people in the Social Programme) passed on the M1, we weren't going anywhere specific. We were just going to the NORTH. The NORTH with its sheep and fields and more sheep. In actuality I spent the weekend in York and Haworth enjoying the sunshine, cold weather, and the massive number of really old buildings England has to offer. And the sheep. I definitely enjoyed the sheep.
The weekend started at 5:45 in the morning, panicking that our small group of travellers wouldn't make it from Harrow to Baker Street by 7:30am and then sleeping on a tour bus until 10am. We arrived in York, our first destination, in the early afternoon and proceeded to take a lovely tour of the city before heading off to lunch. The thing about this weekend is that I heard and kind of learned quiet a lot in a very short span of time, most of it whilst walking. Because of this, I don't actually remember that much. I remember where I went and what I saw, all of which was very, very beautiful and very, very old, but to really get this past weekend, you kind of have to see it. Which is why I took 105 photos and uploaded them to Flickr. What I'm trying to say is go look at the pictures (which aren't really in any particular order I might add) and then come back and read where I went. Looking at the pictures will be much more interesting, trust me.
Anywho, after lunch (and a little bit of shopping) my friend Amanda and I met with the rest of the group at York Minster, which is the second most important cathedral in all of England. We walked around the Minster looking at the usual things you look at in a church and then learned about the history of the cathedral by going down to the crypt. After that it was almost 5pm and the choir had started rehearsing. Listening to the choir for even a few minutes was absolutely amazing because it made me appreciate the structure of the cathedral and how absolutely impressive it is. Then we went to the gift shop and I got a mug with a time line of the Tudor reign on it. Oh yeah, big time dork.
After a harried night of trying to find somewhere to eat, the group went off to the NORTH (Fountains Abbey and Haworth) to look at the ruins of a massive abbey and the town where the Brontes were born and raised and, for the most part, died. Fountains Abbey was amazingly beautiful (and if you look at the pictures you'll see that), but the thing that sticks out in my mind, other than beauty of the entire place, was the amount of exercise I got. I walked up more hills and walked for a longer amount of time in that one day than I have in a very, very long time. It was definitely worth it because the views I got to see were amazing, but it was a lot of work.
After Fountains Abbey, we headed west to Haworth, where the Brontes lived, and got a 45 minute lunch break during which I had my second Yorkshire pudding. After lunch a small collection of went on a tour of the church and then headed up to the moors. Another steep climb later, we were at the top of the moors and...you could see forever. It was late-ish in the afternoon, but you could see the entire town and then some. Breathtakingly beautiful. Go look at the pictures. And it was at that point that my camera battery died and I wasn't allowed to take any more pictures.
Around 3:30pm we left for London and I finally got back to my room around 9pm.
In summary: We (the participants of the Social Programme) went NORTH, got really lucky with the weather, and saw some amazing sites and views. I don't have class tomorrow (as of 9:27pm) and so will be heading into central London to go to Spitalfields Market. If this changes, I won't tell you, but it will apparent by whatever I talk about in my next entry. This weekend I will be watching my first televised professional rugby game. Until next time, don't panic.

No comments: