3.2.10

An Adventure in Wondering

Oh my goodness I haven't updated in two days. Don't worry, I'm still alive.
So at the beginning of the week, for some reason only known to the people who schedule these things, I didn't have class. Due to the fact that I only have one class each day, that meant my entire Monday and Tuesday were open for anything. In light of this yesterday I went to Spitalfields Market. The last time I went there it was either a Saturday or a Sunday, I was wearing brown pumps and it was March/April (I'm so good at remembering the details aren't I.) Yesterday it was "raining"*, I was wearing sensible walking shoes and it was a Tuesday. I'm establishing these differences because going to a market in the middle of the week provides a very different experiment than going to a market on the weekend. So there's that. Then of course there's the fact that they've done a heck of a lot of renovations since I was last there.
After quite a lot of wondering (why don't the British like proper signage?) I walked past Spitalfields Market because I didn't recognize it. Once I realized my mistake, I entered Spitalfields and realized "My god, where did those large metal and concrete structures come from?" You see when I was there, about seven years ago, Spitalfields was a wide open space, no metal and concrete structures holding some shops and quite a lot of restaurants. There were a handful of people manning stalls, though nothing interesting enough to purchase. I actually ended up purchasing quite a lot from the permanent stores including my last mug of semester, a guide book to local markets, two posters, and a very expensive outfit. The highlight for me though was lunch. Spitalfields is where I had my first square pie, but since I'm planning on going to Selfridges and having a pie there, I had to find somewhere else to eat. One of the new permanent restaurants was a crepe shop and since I absolutely love crepes, I had a jerk chicken and cheese crepe. It was excellent. While I wish I had gone during the weekend when more people would have been there, it was nice to go back and be amazed at how much it's changed.
Today, after my Art and Society class, I ventured into Topshop for the first time. I bought I a pair of jeans that I'm going to be returning because they're far too small, but after about twenty minutes of wondering around the place I wanted to start tearing up all the clothing and telling the people around me not to give into the hipster culture, and yes it really is okay to spend your entire life not looking like an idiot wearing overly priced pieces of skimpy cloth. I knew the moment I walked into the place that I was not their target audience. But now I can say I've been to Topshop. Yay me.
I get to play expert tomorrow during my Music Radio class, though in all honesty I only made it through 20-ish minutes of the American breakfast show we had to listen to this week. After landing on the same commercial twice my impotent rage against American commercial radio reared its ugly head and I decided I'd listen to enough to be able to write a good review. Also, creepy guy in the class has added me as a friend on Facebook. I'm waiting until my nightly convo with Mum to get her opinion and then I'll decide what to do. Until next time, don't panic.

*It doesn't actually rain, rain in the UK. Sometimes you'll get a proper rain, but most of the time when it's "raining" it's just kind of misting or spitting. This can last for hours or for just 15 minutes. It's annoying, but when someone tells you, "Always have an umbrella with you" don't just nod your head and then forget about it. You never know when it's going to start to "rain."

No comments: