5.3.10

Culture in Three Acts

Before I even start today's entry I would like to make the following caveat: While I might posses large amount of natural musical talent, I don't really put a lot of effort into my clarinet studies. I mostly just coast on my God given talent. Therefore any criticism I make is followed by a firm understanding that the people I'm critisisng are much, much better than I am, by dint of being at conservatory and devoting their lives to music. I'm just picky.

Act I - Comedy
I had heard about the Comedy Store because of my Twitter feed (a normal source of information for me honestly.) Since I have Thursdays and Fridays free for the rest of the semester I decided I would go see Greg "The Giant" Davies* at the Comedy Store and have a bit of a laugh. However I somehow ended up buying two tickets, so even though this trip was originally suppose to be solo, I invited Amanda to come along.
The night started off well, namely because the bartender discounted my drink and called me pretty, though I could barely hear him. The comedians themselves though were absolutely hilarious for the most part. There were two acts with three comedians each. Two of the slots were given over to newbies, the first of which wasn't at all funny. The second one however did a poem/rap involving a llama and Obama and was generally very funny. The professional comedians were even funnier. Greg Davies talked in between comedians and one of the most memorable moments involved him giving fallatio to a giant owl/human hybrid. I was dying. Other memorable moments including Pierre the ski instructor ("We look up and say hello. Am I gay, straigh, bi, I don't know! Follow me!"), haggling with the person who's sticking you up (from 6 quid, to 3 quid, to 1 quid), and remembering that the customer might be carrying a gun (oh Reginald D. Hunter, you are one fraking hilarious man). I hope to go there again sometime in the future, if only so I can once again need to message my jaw from laughing so long.

Act II - Music
One of the things Reginald D. Hunter mentioned in his act was that the British don't really like people. As Amanda pointed out afterwards, it's not that they're unfriendly, it's just that the British aren't particularly friendly. On individual basis, yes some of them are very friendly. However when it comes to non-tourists attractions and restaurants/cafes, customer service doesn't really exist in the way Americans think. This concept was brought to the fore last night when I was dealing with the people at the Royal Academy of Music. Duke's Hall opens a half hour before the performance starts. I didn't know this and the person at reception didn't feel the need to tell me. I felt like a burke for a good half hour before I could get in. Which leads me to my helpful hint for travelling in London: Either know what you're doing or be able to pull off pretending that you know what you're doing.
The performance itself was somewhat mixed. The band itself was excellent and I really enjoyed their performance of Darius Milhaud's "Suite Francais" and Charles-Francois Gounod's "Petite Symphonie for wind instruments." However two quintet's also performed and while all the players were subperb, I had issues with both clarinettists. They made a "fff" sound while playing, something that my clarinet teacher and Prof. Bartrum would have a huge hissy fit over. In my mind making a "fff" sound means there's something wrong with your embouchure. The fact that these semi-professional performers were making that sound while playing distracted me to no end. But as my caveat mentioned, I'm just picky. The two women who performed were technically amazing and I'd never be able to do what they did. But the fuffing really bothered me.

Act III - Art, Fashion, and Literature
One of the things that I love about London is how close so many things are to each other. You can get from Leicester Square to Picadilly Circus to Oxford Circus within about a 20 minute walk. From Leicester Square you can get to Covent Garden and then over Holborn in the same amount of time, from which point you can get set out for the British Museum which I would guess is a ten minute walk. Oxford Circus gets to you to Bond Street going one way (west) and Regent's Park another way (north). All the major tourist attractions are within a half hour of each other walking. It's brilliant. So this afternoon I went from Holborn (Sir John Soane's Museum) to Covent Garden (the continual feeling of inadequacy) and then over to Marylebone High Street/Baker Street (Daunt Books of awesome.) I covered all of this in about an hour, not including the time spent at various locales along the way. So let's talk about the things I did in between walking.
Sir John Soane's Museum is insane. It's filled with artifacts of man obsessed with collecting things and making plaster molds of those things he couldn't get the originals of. I actually got confused going around the house, it was so cluttered and narrow. Best museum I've been to though, in part because it was so fascinating to look at and also because the audio tour I downloaded was narrated by Elenor Bron, whom I will always love because of Help!.
After my tour I went over to Covent Garden/Soho/Seven Dials area (and they are that close, I kid you not) to make myself feel inadequate. I don't know what it is about hipsters, but they make me feel less than I am, which is stupid because the last thing I want to be is a hipster. Nonetheless, going to that particular area makes me feel a little sad. However it's always fun to look in the shops and see the ridiculous things they're selling.
After my brief foray** with sadness I hoped on the Tube because I decided it would be too long to walk from Covent Garden to Baker Street (a decision that I stand by, even if I could have walked there.) My mission: by guide books for the spring break destinations. So I went to the Marylebone High Street and Daunt Books, which is amazing. With the number of non-fiction and history books they had I could have spent hours there, just looking. I walked away with two British history books and guide books for three of my four destinations (damn you Leeds) and really nice bag that I wasn't expecting to get. While I had set out to get a leather jacket, I think ending up with six books, one card and two postcards (from the museum) was a much better outcome.
That's all my culture for now. Tomorrow I go and see Lily Allen (!!!!!) at the O2 Arena and then next week I'm seeing Billy Elliot: The Musical and an accordion showcase at RAM (with knowledge I didn't have before.) I might add something on Friday and Saturday, but it depends on what Time Out London says is going on and whether I really want to see Alice in Wonderland. Until then, don't panic.

*I've given him that nickname, it's not his actual nickname, but he's 6'8", so it's a very apt nickname.
**I originally spelled this word faure, like the composer. This makes me sad.

No comments: