18.3.11

What I Know I Know

Sometimes you don't always realize how much music you actually know until it's shoved in your face. For instance, I knew Blur's "Song 2" well before I officially got into Blur. I didn't know the song was called "Song 2" but when I heard it all the way through for the first time there was a moment of recognition when the chorus started and I realized "hey I actually do know this song, neat." I've had multiple moments like that and I'm fairly certain all of you have had moments like that as well. In putting together the radio shows for my final project I've realized that while I may consider myself to be very knowledgeable about a small number of genres and basically clueless about everything else I'm actually more knowledgeable about more musical genres than I thought. While I usually turn to my family for a certain amount of input, I've basically been able to cull together the past two themed radio shows on my own. I needed more input for the 70s one, but that was largely because I didn't want to rely heavily on James Taylor and his ilk for the entirety of the show and my parents know a lot about 70s singer/songwriters. But really, I only needed my parents for the names* of artists and then I could pick songs I already knew. As I pointed out on the show last night, I grew up with most if not all of these artists, so I know my stuff. I just don't always know I know.

Playlist**
  1. Lawyers, Guns, and Money - Warren Zevon
  2. Kodachrome - Paul Simon
  3. Thunder Road - Bruce Springsteen
  4. Tell Me Why - Neil Young
  5. Your Song - Elton John
  6. A Case of You - Joni Mitchell
  7. These Days - Jackson Browne
  8. (You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman - Carole King
  9. I Believe (When I Fall In Love It Will Be Forever) - Stevie Wonder
  10. We Gotta Get You a Woman - Todd Rundgren
  11. Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel
  12. Political Science - Randy Newman


*Except for Bruce Springsteen where I needed both the name and a song. I don't really like Bruce Springsteen.
**You might be noticing a distinct lack of videos. This because a) I'm trying to get these up as quickly as possible and finding videos isn't a fast process and b) a large percentage of these songs probably don't have proper videos anyway, so why bother.

No comments: