7.4.11

Mashup Solution

Here's a conundrum: You've been a diligent and dedicated DJ at your local college radio station for three and a half years. However because you have managed to graduate on time (fingers crossed) your tenure is coming to an end and you're having to put together your last show. This makes you sad because there's no way you can feature all of the artists you've ever played on your show (which varied between 14 to 27 songs a week) and it's your last show so you want it to be awesome. Obviously there are some artists you featured more than others, so those guys will definitely get a song on your last show. But what about all the outliers? What about the awesome songs that you played just once or maybe twice but were awesome nonetheless? And the killer part is you only have 45 minutes. What do you do?
If you're me you realize that you have a mashup project due in your digital storytelling class that will solve this problem quite elegantly. Despite my initial wariness of going anywhere near Audacity again doing an audio mashup of about 3 minutes and 30 seconds (with each song getting somewhere between 15 and 30 seconds each) will allow me to fix the conundrum I'm in. I get to feature my favourite artists and get in most of the outliers as well. Rather an elegant solution, no?
I will say one thing about this mashup though: It will not be anywhere near as lovely as the mashups created by professionals like, for example, Girl Talk. Then again I don't have the same amount of time or the kind of equipment Girl Talk has, so I don't even know why I'm bringing them up other than to say that what I'm going to be doing is somewhere along the same lines as what Girl Talk does. Kind of not really. I still like this idea though and I think it will work. I don't know how well, but it will work.

1 comment:

Jim said...

I love this solution, intelligent and relevant to something you have been passionate about for four years and running. Looking forward to it.