16.3.06

Entry Part 2 --- Math Class

There's one way to know whether there's a quiz or not. Check to see whether the overhead screen is down. If it is there's going to be a quiz. Fairly simple and easy to detect.
Today was one of those days. Bad allergies plus lack of enthusiasm makes this Nore tired. Physics had been spent reading The Truth because the actually class was extremely boring. In any event I wasn't really awake. Enter math class and there's the signs of a quiz. Not horribly excited, but more apathetic than anything. Too tired to care.
The screen goes and there before my eyes is an equation: x!/7k. First question: find k. I don't like to variable questions. I also don't like having only a vague sense of what the hell I'm suppose to be doing. I stare at the question for awhile, contemplate the fact that all probabilities must add up to one and what that has to do with the problem. Give up easily and start writing. The lunch bell rings and I stuff the mostly blank paper into my backpack. What's the point? Then, because fate had other plans for me, Mr. Sharp notices the lack of my name in the quiz pile. I tell him the truth. He reconfirms what I was thinking and makes me do the quiz. I start out, think I've got something and then get stuck. Mr. Sharp comes back, looks at what I've done and then goes through my notes, finds an example and tells me to look over what was done there. I look at the problem and do the quiz. Easy. Before everyone comes back from lunch I give it to Mr. Sharp who then says I need a kick in the butt. I get a kick in the butt. Rather literally too.
So, for the first time in my life, someone is giving me a fair shake at things. Someone, other than my parents and a few select people, believes in me. Not that this should come as some huge suprise but it feels nice. So whats the lesson at the end of the day? I know what I'm doing, if only I'd admit I know what I'm doing. 3 and half quarters and I still don't believe in myself. Amazing isn't it?

No comments: