26.5.06

Movies and Music

Every weekend, mostly on Friday and Saturday, my family and I watch a movie. Usually it's a movie I don't particularly care about and I don't really want to watch it. Sometimes it's a movie I know I like, or at least I get to like it (if I pay attention.) I'm not a film buff like the rest of my family and I can accept that. I know I'll know as much about movies as Sophie or Mums or even Dad but I don't really mind. I know enough good movies that I'm willing to watch more than once and that's really all that matters to me. I have certain standards and I know for the most a good movie from a bad movie. Needless to say I don't have much to say about "film." And that's fine by me.
Music, on the other hand, is an area of great interest to me. I know a lot about music and I listen to some kind of music constantly, be it on my mp3, my computer or in my head. I'm open to lots of different kinds of music. There aren't many genres I won't listen on a wholesale basis. I even like rap to a certain extent (if The Streets count.) I have an opinion on music and I'm not afraid to say it or to disagree with people who I think listen to crappy music. I'll give anyone a fair listen unless of course I have good reason to not (James Blunt for instance. Lots of good reasons to not listen to him.) No I have a lot to say about music. And that's fine by me.
I don't claim to be an expert in anything. I'm too young to be an expert on anything, even myself. I know a lot about subjects including music, history, literature, auditory processing problems, human behavior, math, history, music theory, and Monty Python. I don't like making broad generalities because I know from experience that such things don't work. Even the broadest generality is going to prove wrong somehow, somewhere. What's the old saying? "The exception that proves the rule." I also don't like having great long debates that I know jack about. It bugs me to no end.
So I'll never know that much about movies. Sophie will never know as much about music as I do. We'll always agree to disagree. Sophie will have her opinion and I'll have mine. That's the way it goes. Doesn't make her grand generalities less aggravating or my ignorance less annoying. And although I don't particularly like it, I guess I'll just say it's fine by me.

No comments: