13.11.08

Life Is Short

I'm currently working on writing a semi-snarky analysis of an article written in 1964 were nine jazzers (as Prof. Long would put it) were interviewed on a series of questions pertaining to the larger jazz scene. I just wrote in a paper that I'm turning into my professor tomorrow "the party lines were drawn." For some reason in my sick-addled mind that is absolutely hilarious. I don't know why, it seems absurd now that I'm writing about, but it is. God I love hate being sick.
So sometime this week the Kaiser Chiefs and Lily Allen were on a BBC radio show hosted by Zane Lowe. Someone over at the Lily Allen forum pieced together a video based on photos. Or something like that. In any event, a video was made and the result had me chuckling, even though I couldn't hear the song they were performing ("Always Happens Like That" in case you were wondering.) The reason I was giggling was because Lily had a long piece of string and was fidgeting with it the entire time and Rick looked incredibly awkward. He kept tilting back and forth like a loony bin patient or a chicken pecking at food. I even came up with a little dialogue between Ricky and Lily where in Ricky told Lily to stop acting like a cat and Lily told him to shove off. It was great fun. I should have been writing this paper, but oh well. Life is short and Ricky's hot.*
On Tuesday I realized that everyone and their uncle know I'm in a relationship. It was an awkward realization mainly because I find being in a relationship awkward, but it happened nonetheless. It's going to be even more awkward tomorrow when he meets my sister, but from a purely intellectual standpoint, my emotional reaction is quite fascinating. Sad, but fascinating.
On Wednesday I got to show off my anglophilia in full force during linguistics. Namely because I know what a spanner is and also know that Welsh is an offshoot of Celtic. I also know how the British pronounce things (or at least the accent people associate the British with) and how they like to spell things with a "u." My professor asked how one might come to know these sorts of things and in my scratchy nasally voice responded "Youtube." She smiled and said yes you could research it. On Monday, when we discussed regional differences and accents and dialects and all that, I couldn't help but think of all the regional differences and accents and dialects found in the British Isles. I didn't bring them up, but I thought about them on my walk to Pollard. God I love being an anglophile.
*A re-jiggered quote from the 3rd season of Doctor Who. The original quote is "Life is short and you are hot." Oh yeah, fangirl in the house.

No comments: