22.1.09

Second Week

So my second week of classes is nearly over and I don't have much to say. Music history has been a disappointment thus far while Asian Civ. is definitely going to be the highlight of my schedule. The teacher is manic, but loves the subject the same way Prof. Harris loves Russian history, so it makes for a really interesting class. Granted, I'm not completely awake during class, but it's still brilliant. As for music history, she seems to be teaching directly from the book and acts like a high school teacher. I guess I just haven't had any really uptight professors in my year and a half of college, but I guess I just expect more. C'est la vie and who knows, maybe the class will get better as the semester progresses.
Theory is theory, though I've been enjoying it more recently because I actually understand it a bit better than I have in the past. Right now we're talking about musical forms (sonata, rondo, etc.) and so it's not particularly hard (unless you're incredibly thick or think about things way too deeply) which is kind of nice. Skills is so-so, but I've come to expect that. In any event, it's not as bad as has been in the past, though it's still not my favourite subject.
Classics is excellent. I don't really have much to say about that class because it's neither sub-par nor examplary. The professor knows her stuff, but right now we're just reading the primary sources of myths I already know really well. Nonetheless, I'm enjoying the class and continue to think it will be really good.
And then of course we have the periphery classes: Band and chorus. We didn't have chorus the first week because Prof. T was in Italy (oh how I envy her.) Band has been fluctuating because we keep getting new people and then those new people don't always come back. The third clarinet section (my section) has been fluctuating between me by myself and me with someone sight-reading. It's annoying, but I'll survive. I think all the other sections are pretty much settled (except for the trumpets.)
Life is good. I am happy and will not die, despite what I think when I wake up at 7:15 am. :nods:

No comments: