12.4.09

Easter

Since Easter '07, this holiday has been a bit strange for me. Before 2007, Easter was just another holiday were I went to church, suffered through incense and listened to really good music. It didn't mean that much because I'm not a particulary religious person. That's still true, but now the holiday has two meanings for me, which is why it's a strange day for me.
Two years ago I became obsessed with Doctor Who. Since the new series started, the first episode of each series has traditionally been aired around the same time as Easter (except last year because Easter was so ridiculously early.) At the same time I was started getting obsessed with DW, I was full on obsessed with the Kaiser Chiefs. 2007 saw the end of that full on obsession (though I'm sure some would beg to differ). Within a week of each other, I watched my first "as it airs" episode of DW, saw my fangirl dreams come crashing to a fiery end, and celebrated Easter. It was all a bit traumatic (you try singing an 11:15 service after staying up until 3 in the morning, most of which was spent screaming) and sticks all together in my mind as one big blob. Kaiser Chiefs/Easter/Martha (first epi of the 3rd series don't ya know). And that's was the beginning of the duplicity (in meaning) of Easter.
Last year was unremarkable though. Easter came very early and while I'm sure I went home, I don't really remember what I did. Other than suffering through incense, but that's a given. Doctor Who started up a week later, but didn't even get a mention in either of my blogs. But I do remember the time difference being a big jarring because I just assumed the two (Easter and DW) went hand in hand.
This year's DW Easter episode didn't mark the beginning of a new series, but acted more as a reminder that Tennant's era is swiftly coming to an end. And in much the same, this year's celebration is acting as stark reminder that my sophomore year is swiftly coming to an end as well. It's a bit odd though, a holiday that's meant to be seen as a renewal of the year, even in it's original form, acts more as a reminder of endings for me.
So I've lost the thread of this entry (stupid Easter dinner/train back to school). In essence, what I'm trying to say is that Easter isn't an exactly religious holiday for me, it's more a day when I get new DW. Because I'm going to burn in hell. :sigh:
Proper entry in 30 minutes.

No comments: