27.10.09

Issues

For some reason I thought that once I got into Westminster, if I got in, everything would be easy. I didn't think about all the paperwork that goes into travelling and studying in a foreign country, nor did I think about all the bureaucratic hoops I would have to jump through (because there are always hoops) to even get to point where I could go abroad. I just thought once I got in everything else would fall in place. As I sit here with a half written email to the head of the business department, I'm realizing how wrong I was.
The process for applying for a visa makes no sense. The UK Border Agency's website is convoluted but I'm semi-loathe to put off applying for a visa until December because that feels like I'm cutting it too close. On the other hand IAS seems to be of no help because they're information on applying and acquiring a visa to the UK isn't up to date (though the UK's new system is really f-ing confusing and the changes have to do with continental Europeans living and working in the UK illegally and trying to root those people out). So either I apply for a visa over Thanksgiving break or try and suss out how to do it all by my lonesome. Issue 1.
After talking to Dr. Long and IAS it seems that two of the course I'm trying to get approval for work best as general electives under the business department. Thing is I've never taken a business class and wouldn't know the chair of the business department if he smacked me on the butt (though that would be well creepy.) So I'm sat here trying to write an email to this person I don't know to set up some time to get these two courses approved. I hate writing emails like this. I never know where the line between formal enough and not formal enough is and therefore I get hopelessly stuck trying to come up with a formal version of what I'd really like to say (please see me tomorrow so I can get these courses approved thank you.) I hate doing this with professors I do know, so writing one of these is like ten times worse because it's to someone I don't know the person I'm writing to and he doesn't know me. It always helps if the person knows me because then my inability to write is made up for by my nice personality and the like. Issue 2.
It's almost fucking November. When the hell did that happen? It doesn't feel like it was all that long ago that I was working on my demos and fretting over my lack of a Zune. Obviously it's been quite a long while since September, but really, what happened to October? Where did that month go and how can I get it back? I'm not ready for the end of the semester. The end of the semester means that London is really happening and I'm not ready for that either. I need more time to bask in the glow of my acceptance. Also I'm not ready for finals or any of that other crap. So please, can I have October back now? Issue 3.
That's it. I need more time to process everything and get everything done (finished the email, but yeah...still a valid point.) And of course it's raining, but at least I have wellies. And now I'm going to go hide under a rock until the semester is done. And listen to happy music.

No comments: