1.11.09

A Break in Analysis

The reason I like the Forte analysis system is the same reason I like pop music: It's succinct*. If a grouping of notes (a cell) aren't in the Forte chart, it doesn't exist as a cell. Unlike with late 18th/19th century music, there's no question as to what something is. If you can't find it in the chart, then you screwed up and need to re-do the math. With late 18th/19th century analysis there are about fifty different options for every chord. It could be an augmented 6th, it could be a seventh diminished, so on and so forth. I prefer to listening late 18th/19th century music, but if I had to choose between Forte analysis of a piece by Stravinsky and Roman numeral analysis of a piece by Chopin, I would pick Stravinsky in a heartbeat (in fact I'm sorely tempted to analyse this piece by Stravinsky that I played in high school, but that's way beside the point.) It's like if I had to choose between only listening to classical music or only listening to pop music. I would choose pop music because it's to the point, just like the Forte system. No hemming or hawing. It is what it is and that's why I like the Forte system of analysis.
And now, half an hour of solitaire and back to counting semi-tones.

*Obviously not all pop music is succinct. But really the longer songs in the pop catalogue are actually rock and therefore don't count. I'm looking at you Lyndard Skynard/Led Zepplin.

No comments: