6.2.10

Soho and Oxford Street

When you visit a foreign country on your own there are a few absolutely necessary things that you need to have before embarking on your adventure: A really good street map and guide book. My parents, being very wise, made sure that I had both of those things well before I left for London and I'm very glad for it.
The day I had planned several weeks ago finally came to fruition today, though there were some slight revisions to the plan. Instead of going to Bar Italia for lunch I instead went to a cute little restaurant called Cafe Emm on Frith Street. I also added another store and ultimately excised dinner at the Square Pie Company at Selfridges. Anyway, onto the details.
After a leisurely morning (and another morning with the kitchen being clean) I finally headed out to Kenton Station because the TfL doesn't care about people who live outside of Zone 1. I made my way over to Tottenham Court Road and proceeded to wander around a bit trying to figure out which way was Soho Street. Once I found Soho Street (which I initially walked past because it was on the other side of the road) I easily made my way to Frith Street which was a welcome relief from my usual process of finding streets. I then had lunch at Cafe Emm which was delicious. Salmon fish cakes with a salad and then bread and butter pudding for desert. I even got two diet Cokes which was really nice. There were two servers and one kind of ignored me and the other one got me a second diet Coke, so you can guess which one I liked. I think the first one ignored because I'm rather young looking and therefore don't wield much power in people's opinions. Still I'd give the whole experience four stars out of five (which is exactly what I did at the Not For Tourists website.) Then it was off to Forbidden Planet.
There was a bit more wandering, which is par for the course, but not enough to frustrate. After the wandering I made it to Forbidden Planet and was immediately bowled over by how geeky it is. I mean the whole reason I wanted to go there was because of the geeky aspect, but the amount of memorabilia and the lower level with its massive amounts of graphic novels etc, it was just amazing. I got some Doctor Who pins, a set of Mighty Boosh figurines that included Vince and Naboo and two books. After some more wandering (which ended up being kind of unnecessary once I had done it) I made my way to Magma which, while very pretty to look at, was filled with things that I didn't need or even really want. Still both stores were very pretty to look at. I also went to Fopp where I got two books and a CD for the grand total of $26 (approximately) which I thought was very good, especially since one of the books was a hardback. And then there was more wandering.
My biggest complaint thus far is the like of proper signage in London. You can be walking along a street for a good five minutes before you actually know what the street is called. Considering what a huge tourist city London is, you'd think they'd do a better job of marking they're streets. Nonetheless, I finally made my way to Selfridges but by this point it was getting on 5pm and I'd been walking around London for the better part of four hours and was pretty much ready to call it quits. So after finding the Square Pie Company located in Selfridges' food hall, I caught a bus going towards Oxford Circus and, after the thought of maybe going to Spitalfields Market and eating in at the Square Pie there, decided to go home instead.
Finally, after a long but very successful day, I was back at Kenton station. However my throat has been bothering me to no end lately (please don't let me get sick) so I went to Sainsbury's and got tea (PG Tips in case you care), shortbread cookies, Digestives and sugar (which took me absolutely forever to find.) I then made my way back to the dorm and made myself a nice cuppa. It was a very nice day indeed.
Final note: Because the people in my radio group are crazy and because I'm crazy, I'm going to be presenting our show, which counts for 90% of our grade. The show is called "Matinee" and we will be playing show tunes. I initially volunteered to be music producer and somehow ended up with presenter and music producer. So yeah, this is going to be interesting.

No comments: