20.2.10

Keeping Myself Level

My flatmates continue to be arses, but I've decided that if they keep it up into the week I'm going to go complain about a violation of the tenancy agreement (because technically that's exactly what they're doing, violating their tenancy agreement.) However I had a fairly good day despite being quite depressed over my living situation.
Every weekend (when I don't have a social programme to go to) I plan little excursions for myself. Usually it involves shopping because I really like shopping. This weekend's excursion was to Covenant Garden because I was told my market guidebook that the Apple Market at Covenant Garden is quite good (I'm easily persuaded by guidebooks, especially ones that market themselves as experts on non-touristy things.) I went to a really busy but very nice restaurant called Cafe Mode where I had a spicy pepperoni pizza that lived up to it's name. Turned out the little green and red peppers I thought weren't going to be spicy were extremely spice and so I picked them all off after eating one of the green ones (jalapeƱo would be my guess.) The manager lady called me lovey which I thought was a nice touch if a bit odd. Then it was off to the market.
The Apple Market, much like the renewed Spitalfields, has a large number of permanent stores including David and Goliath and Savage London. I went into a large number of those stores, but unlike with Spitalfields I didn't actually buy anything in them, which made me happy on a certain level. I did a look around all the stalls before doing a quick check of the Jubilee Market where I got a nice pair of blue earrings with dried up flowers in them. I wasn't that impressed with the Jubilee Market, but the highlight of the entire trip was the ZHL String Ensemble who were busking in the lower court of the market. They performed really well known pieces (obviously) but performed them with a lot of energy and even add a bit of motion whenever the could manage. They were so good I decided to buy they're CD, which turned out to be a perfect purchase given my current situation. The album is called "Classical dreams" with the sub-title of "A relaxing collection of popular classics." My final purchase of the day was a sweatshirt from one of the Apple Market stalls. It has a cartoon bunny face on it. I'm happy about it.
Finally, here are a couple of things I've done based on the recommendation of other people (a list that will grow after Tuesday.)
  • Eaten at Paul's. My grandmother recommended this cute little French sandwich/bread/wonderful pastries/baked goods cafe. I went there after my Art and Society class in the second week and while I'm sure the calories I ingested were numerous, it was a great sandwich and slice of chocolate cake, so well worth the calories.
  • Going to Apple Market. While the market was endorsed by my market guide book, it was originally recommended by one of the Danish girls I met at the boat party. She also recommended Lush, which smells highly fragrant soaps and other things. I stood outside their shop and breathed deeply.
For those of you wondering, the pilot went okay, given the fact that one of the key pieces of equipment wasn't working. We got feed back from our instructor, Dave, and while I was highly aware of my own problems, one of the best lines was the following: "Where does Nore sound at her best? Why? Is it because she has a smile in her voice.... or sounds well informed?" I think we all know the answer: Because I sound well informed. There is no smile in my voice.

No comments: