12.2.10

Top Tracks

Right, making up for my lack of updating by talking about how I have an uncanny ability to pick up on non-American music, even when I think they're American.
One of the perks of being in London is that I get to hear songs that I wouldn't have heard in the States, either because I don't listen to the radio or because they aren't available in the States. Take for instance my top four tracks at the moment. One of them hasn't officially been released and one of them was featured in (500) Days of Summmer, but the other two are fairly unique to the UK. And except for the track that was in the movie, they're all British artists :fake shock:
"Sweet Disposition" by The Temper Trap was featured in the film that I have a love/hate relationship (500) Days of Summer and when I first heard the song I thought it was a band doing a poor knock-off of vintage U2. Then I got to London and started listening to Radio 1 everyday and heard the song about once or twice a day and it started to grow on me. And continued to grow on me. Except I had no idea what the title of the song was until I looked up the soundtrack for (500) Days of Summer on Wikipedia. And it was at that point that I thought, "Aww hell. I really like this track quite a bit, why not download it?" It's not often that I download tracks that have grown on me, but the atmospheric quality of the song and the mushiness of the lyrics got to me and won me over. However I thought that I had found an American track. Not so much. Turns out the Temper Trap are Australian, which is basically knock-off British.
Another atmospheric track that didn't so much grow on me as seep into my brain and stay there is "Velvet" by the Big Pink. I got the title of the song and the band confused for a little bit, but can you blame me really? I don't think the album has gotten much exposure in the US, but if you're looking for a track that is both romantic and techno wrapped up in one, you need to listen to this song. As with the Temper Trap I thought the band was American, but they're actually a duo based in London. As Rob* would say it's a massive track.
So is Hot Chip's "One Life Stand." For awhile I couldn't figure out what it was they were singing, but I liked the track right off the bat and liked it even more when once I figured out what the chorus was. The track has a great beat and the lyrics are very clever. I don't have much else to say because I already knew the band was British (thanks NMTB!) and it's just a great song. Clever lyrics, great melody line, very danceable. For some reason I've really gotten into music that I can dance to, not that I ever dance, but I've really gotten to like that kind of music for some reason. Anywho, moving on.
The last track that I've discovered thanks to Radio 1 (seriously, sometimes they play good music and when they do it's really quite awesome) hasn't actually been released yet. That's the only problem with listening to the radio. They get tracks way ahead of the release date and so even though you'd like to have the song for your own, you can't because it hasn't actually been released yet. Such is the case with the Courteeners' "You Over Did It Doll." While I'm not wholly enthusiastic about the band, this track is really good in my opinion. The chorus is very catchy (even if I can't understand all of it) and as with the other tracks I've mentioned there's definitely a danceable beat in it, though as a hipster I can only bop my head to it. The video for it is good as well, though a bit odd at the end. It gets released on Monday and we all know I'm going to be downloading it first thing in the morning.
On a final note, I've discovered what sledge means. In the Kaiser Chiefs song "Everything is Average Nowadays" part of the lyrics for bridge talk about needing a "sledge and a hill in heavy weather." I've always been massively confused as to what a sledge is until Ricky Wilson tweeted about how he'd made a glass sledge table. And I looked at the really crappy picture he posted along with the tweet. And hence why I know what a sledge is: It's British for sled. Yay, I'm sad and pathetic, but the song makes more sense now, so it's worth it.

*Rob is a guy in my music radio class who is acting as assistant producer for the assessment. He can also pull off a pretty good American accent, which is impressive for a guy from Yorkshire. He was really pleased though that I thought he pulled it off well, what with me being American. It was cute in a way.

No comments: